Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Tuck the Tummy

A week ago today I had an abdominoplasty, or tummy tuck. I feel a whole hell of a lot better than I did seven days ago, but I'm still largely uncomfortable. The two drains that drain the fluid from the area operated on are in the creases of my legs -- where the legs meet the trunk. Not great places as far as comfort goes. My surgeon's office was supposed to call today to check the drain numbers to see if I could get the drains removed. I waaant them out so bad. I called at ten minutes to one and the office manager said the surgeon's nurse was at lunch. It's now 2:20 and I haven't heard anything back. I'm going to call again in a bit if I haven't heard anything.

Anyway... losing around 200 pounds wreaks havoc on a body. I carried a lot of weight in my mid-section so my stomach looked like a horror movie involving melted bodies. This tummy tuck was the second step in a three-step body transformation. In February I had an arm lift and breast lift. I'm thrilled with the results of those, so I'm hopeful that I'll be pleased with the outcome of this tummy tuck and the upcoming (five more weeks) thigh lift.

Intense, right?

I am not a good patient. For the most part I follow doctor's orders, but I HATE bed-rest. I get so bored. I do fine the first 3-4 days because I'm so drugged up. After that I'm bored, lonely, crabby. For the first surgery, I had to sit/lie in bed for weeks with my arms wrapped up and above my chest. For this one I'm supposed to sit/lie in bed in a "lounge chair" position. Basically, my head and back are supported by four pillows, and my legs are up on three pillows. It's better than having my arms propped up, but it's also getting annoying. It's funny the little things you take for granted -- showering, lying flat on your back, or on your side, walking briskly, and comfortably. Going to the gym. I'm estimating that I won't be permitted to work out until sometime in July. Ohhhhhhhhhhh, that stresses me out.

My stomach and upper legs are still very swollen. I know it's only been a week, but I worry that the swelling will just never go away. I'm kind of crazy, in case that hasn't been obvious.

I have a ton of books to read in this extended down time. I'm currently reading it sucked and then i cried by Heather B. Armstrong of Dooce.com. It's really funny so far, but it's scaring the hell out of me. Pregnancy sounds entirely awful.

Tonight I'm watching the BF hit some balls at a batting cage and then play softball with his friends from business school. Aw, precious. Hopefully I'll have the energy and strength to be out and about for a few hours tonight. Yesterday I was completely exhausted and had no desire to do anything.

Just spoke to my surgeon's nurse. Drains will come out tomorrow morning. Dang. I was hoping they'd come out today.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my Lord, Girl, you sound better than expected, considering what you've just undergone! I think I would be perfectly happy to be on bedrest, in the lounge chair position. I certainly don't have your love of exercise (sadly!) and the older I get, the more I enjoy a vegetable. ;-) I hope you aren't in any pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph, how are you feeling? You haven't checked in for a while, and it has me worried. I hope your recovery is going as well as can be expected, and that you aren't in too much pain. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Lady!! PLEASE check in with us, just to let us know you're ok. You are ok, aren't you? I'm worried about you!!!

    Hell, maybe you've just been super busy bikini shopping, and haven't had time to blog... ;-)

    ReplyDelete